September 4, 2019
As we embark on this new school year, I offer my prayers for you as parents and grandparents, raising our children in today’s world. With all the difficulties we observe, we know that God is always with us, guiding us and holding us in the safety of His loving arms.
All is well here at school and the excitement of the New Year continues. We have welcomed our new families and students and as always our returning families and students, and of course our new teachers, Mrs. Batch, Mrs. Podurgiel, Ms. Tynan, and Mr. Wirt. In celebration of this we will be treating everyone to supper and dessert this Friday evening, September 6th from 6-7:30 p.m. Please join us in the school’s backyard (weather permitting) or in the gym if it is raining. Luigi’s Brick Oven Pizza Truck will be serving pizza and gelato. (By the way Chef Luigi is a graduate of St. Joseph School.)
All current and perspective Band Parents are invited to a brief meeting with Mr.Wirt, our new Music Teacher at 5:30 p.m. before the welcome back event.
Our Diocesan Schools have decided to institute a new form of assessment for our students in grades 5-8. This will be in lieu of the Iowa Achievement tests and will shorten the spring timing. This assessment is meant to give our school a clearer picture of where we can better assist our students in learning and preparing for higher-level studies. It is an online assessment with immediate results for the school and its teachers. This NWEA assessment will take place three times during the year in September, January and May.
Please remember to consult your calendars, yearly and monthly for important information. Some important dates to think about are as follows.
- September 6 Welcome Back with Luigi’s Pizza and Gelato
- September 12 Welcome Back Greeting by the local community 8-8:30 a.m.
- September 13 Faculty and Staff Retreat—No School
- September 19 Grades 5-8 to the Big E New England State Fair
- September 24-October 4 Days for WNEA Assessment Grades 5-8.
- September 26 Cultural Harvest Potluck Supper—All Families at 6 p.m.
- October 4 First Friday Mass at 9 a.m., 12:30 p.m. Dismissal
- October 5 Steak Night Fundraiser at the BirdsEye—4-7 p.m.
- October 8 Home-School Assn. Meeting—Everyone is a member!
Save the date for the Father Castaldi Scholarship Dinner on November 15th at Ocean Beach. All proceeds to benefit scholarships given by St. Joseph School.
Many thanks to all who are supporting our World’s Finest fundraiser…in one way or another!
Happy New School Year as we watch our children learn and grow!
You are in our prayers as always. Please continue to keep us in yours.
Marianne Cote, Principal