October 27, 2021
Dear St. Joseph School Families,
As we reach the last days of October, we continue to pray for peace and health asking our Blessed Mother Mary to pray for us through the Most Holy Rosary. This week we are meditating on the Luminous Mysteries. Our thoughts turn to the Baptism of Jesus in the Jordan River; His First Miracle at the wedding feast of Cana, when water became wine; the announcement of the kingdom of healing and forgiveness in the synagogue; the Transfiguration, when Jesus showed himself to the disciples as glorified; and, finally, the giving of the Eucharist as a sign that Jesus is both human and divine.
On November 4th, our 8th graders will take the entrance exam for St. Bernard School. While we know that every student is not planning to attend St. Bernard, everyone will take the test for our information. We also remind you of the substantial financial assistance and scholarship provided to students from St. Joseph to assist with tuition at St. Bernard.
On Friday October 29th we will have a casual day. While we do not wear costumes at school, students may wear Halloween specific shirts or simply orange and black if they choose to do so. Our 8th graders will be “Trick-or-Treating” with the students in our auditorium, as they did last year.
Of course, November 1st (All Saints’ Day”) is the real day of celebration, since it is on that day that we will remember all of our Saints and saints-in-training. (That’s us!) How does one achieve this? The very short version is that the Church designates specific people after looking at their lives and attributing certain miracles to them. These are the Saints with the uppercase “S”. Then there are the rest of us who strive on a daily basis to be all that God has called us to be, the saints-in-training.
- Band practice for those taking instrumental lessons takes place every Wednesday that is a full day of school from 2:30 to 3 p.m. Children should be picked up promptly at 3 p.m. at the front door of the school.
- Masks are required for school.
- If your child is going to aftercare, a note must be sent to the office or a call must come to the office before 1 p.m. in order that arrangements may be made. The same rules are expected at aftercare as during the regular school day. Respect of the women, who care for your children during this time, is of the utmost important.
- If your child’s after school procedure changes (e.g., walker, not a bus student; aftercare rather than a walker or bus student; etc.), please send a note to school with your child in the morning.
- Children are required to bring their reusable water bottles to school to be used during the day, as only water bottle fillers are available, not water fountains. Drinks, other than water, are only allowed at snack time and lunch, and not in the classroom during the day.
- Monday, November 8th is a Diocesan Professional Development Day for our teachers and therefore, there will be NO SCHOOL. Thursday, November 11th is also a NO SCHOOL day due to Veterans’ Day.
- On Monday, November 22nd, students in grades 5-8 will travel to the Discovery Science Center in Bridgeport to visit the Challenger Center. There is no charge for this trip as we have received a special Science grant to cover the cost. Further details will be forthcoming.
We will be having a Christmas Wreath fundraiser this year. Further information will be forthcoming.
Please keep us in your prayers, as you are in ours daily.
May God Bless You!
Marianne Cote, Principal