November 3, 2021
Dear St. Joseph School Families,
On Monday, November 1st, we celebrated All Saints’ Day since it is on that day that we will remember all of our Saints and saints-in-training. (That’s us!) November 2nd is All Souls Day. On this day we remembered all those who have gone before us to be with God. We pray for all the souls and ask those in heaven to pray for us. This month is dedicated to our saints and our departed souls.
We wish to thank our Grade 8 students for a successful “trick-or-treating” experience held for our young people in the gym last Friday. Bravo Grade 8!
This week our 8th grade students will be given the entrance exam for St. Bernard here at school. Everyone will have the opportunity to take the test regardless of the final decision to attend or not. Please encourage them to do their best and keep them in your prayers.
This year we are bringing back our tradition of plays for each grade. Our first play this year will be under the direction of Grade 4. In order to do this safely and still allow some family members to attend, we will show the play in 2 sessions and invite 2 adult guests per family. If this works well, we will continue this throughout the year. The play will be prior to Thanksgiving break.
Next week, Monday, November 8th and Thursday, November 11th will be NO SCHOOL days, due to a Diocesan professional development day and Veteran’s Day, respectively.
We are planning for photo retakes on the morning of November 12th. If you have had school photos taken, they will be returned prior to that date. If you wish a retake, you must return those that you do not wish to keep on that day. Students, who were absent and those who did not remember it was picture day, may also have their picture taken that day. Order forms and payment must accompany the student.
On Monday, November 22nd, students in grades 5-8 will travel to the Discovery Science Center in Bridgeport to visit the Challenger Center. There is no charge for this trip as we have received a special Science Grant to cover the cost. Further details will be forthcoming.
As noted below, Thanksgiving break begins with an early dismissal day on Tuesday, November 23rd. There is NO AFTERCARE on that day.
Although it seems early, as we move into December, we will be planning for Lessons and Carols to take place in the Church. This is still in the planning stages and further information will be coming in future letters. The date is December 12th at 7 p.m.
- Monday, November 8th is a Diocesan Professional Development Day for our teachers and therefore, there will be NO SCHOOL. Thursday, November 11th is also a NO SCHOOL DAY due to Veterans’ Day.
- Band practice for those taking instrumental lessons takes place every Wednesday that is a full day of school from 2:30 to 3 p.m. Children should be picked up promptly at 3 p.m. at the front door of the school.
- Masks and reusable water bottles are required for school.
- If your child is going to aftercare, a note must be sent to the office or a call must come to the office before 1 p.m. in order that arrangements may be made. The same rules are expected at aftercare as during the regular school day. Respect for the women, who care for your children during this time, is of the utmost importance.
- November 14th through the 19th is Discover Catholic Schools Week. If there is someone you know who is interested in our school, please suggest that they call us for a tour and information about our school.
- Requests for absences or early dismissals must be sent to the office, not only to the teacher.
Christmas Wreath fundraiser forms for this year have been sent home. Please help to the best of your ability.
Please keep us in your prayers, as you are in ours daily.
May God Bless You!
Marianne Cote, Principal